- Lectors should review and practice readings out loud at home, so as to be prepared.
- Lectors should arrive at church 15 minutes early.
- It is the lector’s responsibility to seek the previous week bulletin and insert the Mass Intentions for current week in the Welcome Script.
- Announcements and the Prayers of Intercession should be reviewed before Mass. Please note any names that may have been recently added to the prayers for the sick or deceased. Please ensure proper pronunciation of names.
- When crossing in front of the altar, lectors are asked to bow their heads as a sign of reverence.
- Just before Mass begins, the lector goes to the lectern to read the Welcome Script.
- The lector carries up the Book of the Gospels in the procession. The procession stops in front of the altar so all may bow before the tabernacle. The lector then moves into the sanctuary, places the book on the centre of the altar, and opens it. The lector bows in front of the book and returns to his/her place.
1st and 2nd Readings
- The lector should approach the lectern, adjust the microphone, if necessary, and begin by saying, “A reading from the…” PLEASE NOTE: The reader does not precede this by saying, “The First Reading,“
- At the end of the reading, the lector should pause for a moment, and then say, “The Word of the Lord.”
- The lector should turn the page to the 2nd Reading and sit on the chair directly behind the lectern.
- After the responsorial psalm is sung, the lector approaches the lectern and repeats as above.
- When finished, the lector should close the lectionary and place it on the table behind the lectern, and bow when laving the sanctuary.
Prayers of Intercession
- After the homily, all stand to recite the Profession of Faith.
- As soon as the Profession of Faith is completed (the lector does not wait for the priest to indicate to enter the sanctuary), the lector approaches (bows while entering) the sanctuary, moves to the lectern and opens the folder to the Prayers of Intercession.
- Once the last of the Prayers of Intercession are read, the lector remains in place until the priest completes the prayers.
- When the priest sits down after communion, please enter the sanctuary (and bow) to read the announcements.
- Bow when leaving the sanctuary.